Cyber Essentials is a Government and industry developed scheme which provides basic protection from the most prevalent forms of threats coming from the Internet.
The scheme focusses on Internet-originated attacks against an organisation’s IT system and concentrates on five key areas;
- Boundary firewalls and internet gateways - these are devices designed to prevent unauthorised access to or from private networks, but good setup of these devices either in hardware or software form is important for them to be fully effective.
- Secure configuration – ensuring that systems are configured in the most secure way for the needs of the organisation
- Access control – Ensuring only those who should have access to systems to have access and at the appropriate level.
- Malware protection – ensuring that virus and malware protection is installed and is it up to date
- Patch management – ensuring the latest supported version of applications is used and all the necessary patches supplied by the vendor been applied.
For more information, download the following
South West Regional Cyber Crime Unit Weekly Brief